Thursday, February 17, 2011

let's eat

One of the biggest changes since Max's arrival, is my lack of desire to ever leave the house. Toting around 3 kids is well, getting easier - or maybe I'm just getting used to it now - either way, it just isn't my favorite thing to do.

So being home a lot, I've focused my new time and attention (what little you have with new baby) to cooking. I am surprised how much I love it. Ryan is an amazing cook - he doesn't need a recipe... he can put together all sorts of ingredients and it comes out tasting fabulous. I on the other hand, need exact measurements and told exactly what and how to do everything. But I love it. I love making pies and cakes and desserts, I love "slaving" in the kitchen. It may be old fashioned, but it is my new favorite past time.

So, I need some good suggestions on cookbooks. Does anyone out there have one they love? These are some of my favorites right now:

Jami Oliver: Food Revolution
Oh, I love me some Jami Oliver. He rules and everything we have tried in here has been super yummy.


Keeping Up Cooking
My cute friend Holly gave me this cookbook and it is amazing! There was a version before this one called Favorites. I'm not sure if the recipes are the same or not, but either way - you can't go wrong.


Everyday Food
As with all things Martha, this cookbook just looks great. There is a photo for each recipe, which I love, and it breaks the recipes into seasons, which I think is kinda cool.


Deceptively Delicious
If you have kids, I think this book is a must. My boys aren't too horrible about eating their veggies... but I like sneaking it in anyway. She just released another cookbook this year that I need to check out.

2 comments:

LBP said...

Do you have a bread machine? I hated making bread until I got this handy piece of machinery. I make bread almost every day now. Jalepeno cheese bread, cinnamon swirl, white, wheat, rolls, etc. Have I mentioned I am gaining weight too? Anyways, I think you would really appreciate this genious tool. I have finally joined the 20th century - and it feels good to be fat.

Niki and Jess said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I am just like you...I need exact measurements. I actually dislike cooking, but should probably start doing it. I just want food in front of me when I get off work!