Saturday, May 31, 2008

automatic disqualification because of its involvement with the big chill


high fidelity ...

anyone who knows us knows we love this movie. if you have not seen it you can go ahead and stop visiting our blog ... we really cannot be friends with folks who indulge in such silly antics.

there is a great scene in the movie after laura's dad dies when rob, barry and dick are sitting around talking about the music that would make up the tribute list to her dead father ... jan and dean, madness, the rolling stones and as john cusack's character notes in the movie ... "i always wanted some beautiful girl to sing 'you're the best thing that ever happened to me"

anyhow on our drive home last night we were talking about the movie and i started thinking about some of the songs i would like to have played at my funeral. it's going to be a long funeral. 

satisfied mind - jeff buckley live version from sketches for my sweetheart. i am still deciding on wether we will play the album version or if trevor price will sing it. not sure yet. hope i have a few weeks to decide.
we will meet again - johnny cash from the best of johnny cash on american recordings ... we will meet again some sunny day
window - damian jurado from where shall you take me? i am walking with my savior, and my savior walks with me.
that's how i knew this story would break my heart - aimee mann like a ghost in the snow i am ready to go
the late greats - wilco i would like people to say that about me when i am gone. my friend scott loves this song.
fancy funeral - lucinda williams every dime and nickel is money better spent on groceries or covering the bills instead of little luxuries and unnecessary frills
wake up - arcade fire from the record funeral ... turn the summer into dust. this song alway makes me realize the things i worry about are so stupid.
i hope it rains at my funeral - whiskeytown i love the rain. and i love whiskeytown
mourning train - the wallflowers i am shining up my good shoes brown.
time to move on - tom petty from wildflowers ... and maybe when i am gone brian hardy will finally realize what a genius tom petty is.
mansion on the hill - bruce springsteen i debated wether to include the version by the national. but i love the boss. it should be closer to the top
guaranteed - eddie vedder
somebody loves you - eels
god only knows - joe henry one of my favorite albums ever ... "our song" could be used in substitution without problems from the other side
in the sun - joseph arthur may god's love be with you
golden - my morning jacket
long ride home - patty griffin
promises - lyle lovett from the dead man walking soundtrack. sean penn starred. emily would like to marry him when i am gone.
i dream a highway - gillian welch - this song will always remind me of emily. i dream a highway back to you.
sweet old world - emmylou harris
i might be wrong - radiohead this may be my favorite guitar riff ever. it should wake everyone up at the end. dancing will be allowed.

4 comments:

emmy said...

Is it weird to comment on your own blog?

Well - I just have to say two things. If Ryan goes, it better not be soon, and I better go soon after.

And when it comes to marrying Sean Penn ... only if he has that super hot tattoo of a cross on his back from the incredibly depressing movie: Mystic River.

Otherwise I'm marrying my long time crush and default husband choice: Conan O'brien.

emily

Angeler said...

Em, you and Conan would be so cute together. But I like Ryan better.

And this better not be your way of saying there might be something to worry about. Like when girls post a picture of their positive EPT pee stick to announce a pregnancy.

Sophia said...

Emily,
how do we have the same exact default husbands? This is not a joke I love Conan O'brien and Sean Penn, but Steve Carell comes in a close third.
Sophia

Kat said...

Ryan-you've always been number one in my book for the greatest mixes. Hoping I make it to your funeral. Sounds like a good time.