Tuesday, May 20, 2008

my little piece of happy





While my little patch of dirt is shameful in comparisons to most, I am still quite happy that all my tulips decided to debut this spring.

Being on a North facing plot - I was very suspicious of any of the plants surviving the ice tundra that was our house this last winter. Minus the sad corner bush, everyone made it and I feel so accomplished in my gardening efforts.

It has become a nice "let's get outside for some fresh air" without having to pack up the kids, diaper bag, stroller, and car - activity. Jack is quite the helper in digging holes and spreading dirt around. He has also mastered the art of soaking his feet while he tries to help me water the plants. And Cashman takes nice cozy naps in the shade, even with Jack's high pitch screams and giggles every 2 minutes.

It is a good time had by all.

In our most recent HOA meeting, the lady at the end of the row grumbled, "Thanks a lot Tanners for making the rest of us look bad." She is the same one to get mad at us for fixing our fence without first allowing the HOA to vote on whether or not we could fix the fence. Really? I am the only one ever trying to update light fixtures, spray paint the random colored mailboxes, or make any effort to bring a little life and color to our sad driveway/street. I do this hoping others will catch on and be inspired to clean up and improve their mini front porches, but all I do is get in trouble. HOA's are the worst!

So here are of few snap shots of my little garden - small, but happy.


3 comments:

Alicia said...

Emily!! I love your little secret garden... Screw HOA, man!

Angeler said...

What beautiful flowers. All my flowers are store-bought. Imagine my savings if I tried to grow them myself.

And seriously Em, how dare you fix your own fence without voting on it!

sarah said...

They look beautiful! Way to go! Isn't it so exciting?! Every day I go out and am amazed at how things grow. And I agree planting and weeding are great excuses to get us outdoors. Weird neighbors.