Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I heart jamie oliver


Awhile back, Ryan and I started watching the episodes of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. It started a change in the way I think about what I have been eating and more importantly - what I am and have been feeding Jack and Cash. After a few episodes, I went out and purchased his cook book. Last night we had our first meal. I cannot say enough about how amazing it was! It was better then any Indian restaurant meal I have ever had. I mean it was delicious!


Jamie's entire movement is to try and get people to basically cook from scratch and eliminate all the processed food we rely so heavily on. Being inspired by a movement from WWII, when programs were set up across Britain to help educate the public on how to feed themselves nutritionally on what little food there was. Now - with our horrible economy and the ever rising problems of bad health and obesity - Jamie is trying to do the same thing. Bringing on radical movement of change in what the younger generations of kids are receiving mostly for school lunch, and then trying to reflect it out into what families are eating in the home.

I think what he is doing is inspiring and I love how determined and passionate he is about this goal. He has already succeeded in the UK with changing over the school systems so the kids are getting fresh healthy meals and choices each day. In the cities he visits, he sets up kitchens were he teaches free cooking classes, empowering the community to make a difference in themselves, in their families and in their communities. I think it is such an incredible thing and I am on board.

So - with this cookbook, the idea is that you try and learn a meal from each section and then teach 2 other people how to cook it. They in turn teach 2 others and so and so on. The recipes are simple and are guaranteed yummy. Ryan and I have been drooling over practically ever page - it all looks so good.

I know I won't always have control over what the boys are eating - but while they are at my home - at the breakfast, lunch or dinner table, I can control that. I can be doing a good thing.

I love Jamie Oliver. I hope with everything he succeeds. Go buy this cookbook and be part of the revolution!

Ryan and I will be teaching this first meal we just learned later on this month. If you want to come - let me know.

Viva Revolution!

2 comments:

sarah sample said...

I want to come! This sounds great. I've started cooking more meals from scratch this year and think it is just a change in how we think about preparing meals...love it.

Debra Fotheringham said...

Totally blog lurking here...but thanks to your post I just bought this cookbook. I really believe what Jamie's doing is important, especially after watching Food Inc. Can't wait to try out these recipes.