Tuesday, May 11, 2010

i love you mom


Mother's Day Weekend was great. The weather finally started acting like May. (If I have to put the winter coats on the boys one more time I might scream!)

We spent Saturday night making dinner for my mother-in-law, whom I adore. And no - I don't just say that... I don't think she even reads this blog - but I really do adore her. Somehow I lucked out in the in-law department and love them. Then Sunday we headed over to my mom's house (we rotate sundays still in hopes of free meals) and had a big BBQ with all the cousins and such.

I love my mom. I know Ryan teases me endlessly for it, but every girl should have such a mom to love. We now just live minutes away, which the boys love as well, and couldn't be happier having her and grandpa so close. My mom is a pure angel - she is sweet through and through. I have so many happy memories growing up. And now, as a mom, I find myself often calling her for advice, trying to be half the mom she was. I love this picture of us swinging together. I used to make her push me in the swing until the last possible minute before bed. I still remember how happy I felt swinging into those late summer nights.

Now as I tuck these 2 monsters of mine in bed, I am so happy I am their mom. Some days it is so hard, but most days it is so good. I look at all the other mothers I admire, trying to take a piece of them with me to make me a better mom. I try not to be too judgmental on myself, but often times don't succeed.

I know, whether you are a mom or not, there is something in most women that makes us want to rise to great things, to help others. There is such a great satisfaction in this, whether it is for your kids, for your friends, for your family, or for strangers. Motherhood sometimes feels like endless giving of all that we have; time, energy, sleep, (and with Cash) personal space and sometimes safety from flying objects... but always worth it.

Tonight, I am happy being a mom. Stay happy, to all the moms out there.


4 comments:

Jill said...

Ahh.. I just love this picture! And your mom is an angel straight from heaven. You're a pretty amazing mom yourself. Happy mothers day.

sarah sample said...

You are one of the most beautiful moms I know Em. I love my mom too...every girl does deserve a mom they can adore...
-s

Alicia said...

This makes me so happy... and is exactly what I needed to read today. Thanks, Em. I love you.

holly said...

I just had a minute to read this and it made me cry, Emily. Seeing you with your "little monsters" the other night made me want to be a better mom... you're amazing and thanks for the inspiring post (and the amazing dinner!). xo, H