Monday, November 24, 2008

great book find #2

The boys and I make regular trips to the library each week. Jack is obsessed with reading (or being read to I suppose) and I love to find all these great new artists and stories I have never heard of. So here is another to add to your list to check out.

(see book discovery 1 here)

Oliver Jeffers, The Incredible Book Eating Boy

The story has a great little message about a boy who starts eating books - and gets smarter and smarter with each book he reads. But then he starts eating them too fast and in too great of quantity and all the information begins to get mixed up and make him sick.

So he decides to stop eating one day, and opens the book and reads it. He discovers how great it is to read and that he can still become the smartest boy in the world - it will just take a little bit longer.

The illustrations are amazing, and I love all the use of type as texture - and how he collages pages of dictionaries and such on each page. It is beautiful - you should all check it out.

5 comments:

Mindi said...

I'll have to look for these next time we go to the library, since we too go there on a regular basis. Jane loves to be read to as well. You always have the best kid finds- I went and bought the Playmobil Nativity and love it, and bought the kids another one of their sets for Christmas. You have really good taste in things. P.S. I'll be looking forward to the mix Cd :)

Kat said...

What a cute book. We are always looking for a good read for the boys. My favorite kid book, "Strega Nona". That's my recommendation for your next trip to the library.

Miranda at Marz Haus said...

This looks like a fantastic book! I love your great book finds.

Janelle said...

We will definitely look for this one--it sounds and looks great. Oh Emily I just love everything about you.

The Questioneers said...

just stumbled on your blog! I love it! I will look for this book.
I'm a librarian, so always looking for more goodies. one of my favorite books is If... by Sarah Perry.
www.thequestioneers.com