Wednesday, August 6, 2008

hooray for the public library

The boys and I headed off to the library today with my sister-in-law Jokey and the kids. Jack's nieces Abi and Kayla and nephew Josh were kind enough to follow Jack around as he zoomed in and out of aisles and tried to help him practice the concept of whispering while I gathered up a few books on trains, blankies, trucks and other current favorites of Jack.

We let the kids play in the fountains and eat some yummy cheesy pull-a-parts from The Pie as Joke and I enjoyed ice cold diet cokes and lazy Cashman took a nap.

When we got home the boys and I cozied up on Jack's bed and read book after book before naptime. I had a weird childhood flash back - the sound of the plastic coated book as you opened it, the old used paper/book smell on each page - took me back. I forgot just how much I loved the library - how many great children's books there are out there - and how much I love activities that don't involve the TV or some electronic device.

Does anyone have any favorite children's books I should look up?
I'm also into reading non-fiction books lately if anyone has any recommendations.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

What library? Fayth and I were at S.J. library yesterday. Love it there. Let's make a date, and then we can wander off to the Pie for dinner after:)

Miranda at Marz Haus said...

Ooooh... Old book smell is the best! The library was one of my faves as a kid and still is today.

Lemme think a minute on book recommendations and get back to you...

Kat said...

I still remember story time at the ol' south jordan library. I loved sitting on my own little carpet square and loosing myself in a good story. I can't believe its still there.

Alicia said...

Em, do you remember how excited wee btoh were at the new provo library opening up? We ran there to go get our library cards, then they told us we had to have proof of address and they wouldn't give us cards until we could "prove ourselves", then never went back. I suck.

Ms. Dottie said...

I've always loved to read ever since I was little. My most favorite favorite book is called Last One in is a Rotten Egg. I still have that book. Also There is a monster at the end of this book. All the sesame street ones. Cookie monster and the cookie tree. I love books.