Friday, February 13, 2009

sugar cookies



Every February, the girls in the family try to get together and make valentine sugar cookies. This year proved to be harder then usual to find a day that would work for everyone, so my mom and I decided to just do it ourselves before the holiday had passed us up. I was tending my cute little nieces on the same day, so it was fun to have them help add ingredients, turn the blender on and off (each getting equal turns of course!) and pretending that we didn't see them snitching the dough.

The recipe is super yummy, and makes about 5 dozen if you use a small/medium sized cookie cutter. They turned out really cute. My mom is quite the pro at her frosting magic. I am always trying to have her teach me her icing decorating tricks. I love it because, while I am so horrible at it, I am then forced to eat the cookie right after because it looks so bad. Yes, I am a big help.

In the end, I made some little cards for them, bagged them up and sent them on their way. It is a tradition I love - sugar cookies are one of my all time favorite treats, and I love the time spent with my mom just baking and gabbing. Below is the recipe if anyone else feels the need to spread some Valentine love:

Sugar Cookies
1 cup sour cream

1 cup shortening or butter

2 cups sugar
3 eggs

6 cups flour

1 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon lemon extract

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

*
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 6 minutes.

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, mix well. Add sour cream and extracts. Mix dry ingredients together separately. Add slowly to wet ingredients. Roll out, cut, bake, frost, share and enjoy!

Frosting:
1/3 cup margarine
3 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
food coloring (optional)

2 comments:

Alicia said...

So so yummy. I made some myself the other day and am still relishing the little buggers.

sarah sample said...

those cookies look so great. bravo. i have a secret desire to take a cake decorating class, dont' know why but I think it would be so fun.
xo
s