Wednesday, November 24, 2010

the boy's room

When I set out to join the boys into one room, I really wanted to make a whole new space so it wasn't just Cash coming into Jack's room. Also - with having another boy, I didn't really want to change the nursery, but I didn't want Cash to be attached to it in any way. I had big plans to try and do it all in one weekend, but being pregnant made most the projects go into a several week project. I wanted them to have a cool room without it looking too kid like. I know - that is the designer control freak in me, but I think kids rooms can be hip without being so cliche and well, kid-like. It still needs some things here and there, but here is a few snapshots of the room so far.


I made the headboards after watching a mini tutorial on youtube. I kept them a neutral gray, so I could switch out the duvet covers more often. It was fairly easy, and both headboards - materials and all, cost me under $50.


I found these cardboard animal heads at urban outfitters on clearance. I thought they were pretty cool. I wanted to buy some larger ones on line, but they get pretty pricey. I love cardboard anything.

Originally I was going to make this little nook have a table with chairs and art supplies, but I realized I still wanted a place to sit and hang out when the boys are first nodding off, and I also don't trust Cash to have any type of mark making material in a room where I can't see him at all times.


My master-sewing mom helped me make these end bed blankets. I bought the material several years ago before Cash was even born, but thought the vintage prints were still cool. The blankets are big enough to use for forts, cozy time, and other such things without messing up the bed and using the duvet cover... keeping mom from having to make the bed 10 times a day.


I made a photo wall with a bunch of images of both the boys doing different things - something I can change out throughout the years as they get older. I have so many photos of them, I hate that most don't get framed. I hope this gives me a chance to display more of them - and more often. I left up the hanging airplanes from when Jack was just a baby (used them to distract while changing diapers).

The turtle is a night light Grandma and Grandpa Tanner gave Jack for his birthday. It rules... it has 3 color settings and puts stars up across the entire room. I let the boys take turns picking which color will be on for the night - and after 40 minutes, it turns itself off. I think you can get them at Babys-R-Us, and they come in several different animals.

I also scored this killer vintage set of kids encyclopedias at DI. They are amazing - and Jack loves leafing through them and looking at the pictures. I'm trying to find some cool book ends to help them stand up better - and as a whole series.




To try and give them something in their room that was just theirs, I put out
a green box to the side of each bed for them to put their own things in... mainly for me to stash away Cash's 80 different stuffed animals he must take to bed with him each night. We also put up these 2 magnet boards to give the boys both a space to hang up their artwork. I need to make or find some cool magnets for them still.






4 comments:

Alicia said...

You are so amazing... I love it all.

Brandon said...

Fun ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Miranda at Marz Haus said...

It looks great, Em! Love the headboards (and all the other details, too!). And how great is the print on those bed blankets? Perfect!

Brooke said...

I love it! I took an interior design class last year...I realized I'm not very creative anymore! I'll definitely come to you for decorating tips when I have a house to create