Thursday, June 25, 2009

new library picks

I am always happy suprised by what I pick out at the library each time we go. Most of the time I am just trying to keep the Cashman from tearing out pages of every piece of public property he can get his hands on, while following after Jack as he grabs book after book, reads a little, then leaves it on the floor to find the next book.

So mostly my visits to the library consist of me grabbing what the librarians put on the top shelves and anything I randomly grab out from the rows as I pass by. Usually it is the style of illustrations that cause me to pick one over another - and this last trip I found some gems.


The real winner was In the Town All Year Round by Rotraut Susanne Berner. It is a "where's waldo" themed book - but better and probably for younger kids. Each of the seasons have people to look for as they go about town. The illustrations are great - and Ryan was happily amused to find a scene with 2 little kids laughing at a portrait of a naked woman in an art museum - so if that is enough to upset the balance in good parenting, maybe stay away. But Jack loves it - and spends hours looking for each of the characters.


Next was a book by Philip Yates called Ten Little Mummies. I loved it because of the illustrations by G.Brian Karas - they are kind of childish and almost sloppy - but very cute. I also liked the idea of taking the stories of the ten little monkies jumping on the bed - and reinventing it. The story line is adorable - and my favorite spread is of one of the mummies getting carried off by a falcon.

Then last but not least, was Jack's Rabbit by Yvonne Jagtenberg. The illustrations in this book are wicked. I guess there are several similar books by this author (Jack's Kite, The First Day of School) - so I will have to check out more. But next time you are at the local library - check this one out. There is a spread where he is talking to a man who is painting the beach, and I just love how the real beach is completely in line with the painting - or the illustration of the gold fish in the pet store, or the jet zooming past the sand dunes of rabbits - and I know it is the inner art nerd in me, but I thought this book was the coolest.



3 comments:

Brandon said...

Maddie brought "In the Town All Year Round" home from the library some time ago and she got it again recently. She loves it.

Jamie said...

Can we just let Fayth watch the boys in the library while we sit by the fountain eating The Pie?

Anna said...

So I have to admit that I your blog is one of my favorites and I'm not sure if you know me. Well, I know Ryan but I've only met you once at your wedding reception. Anyway, I love your book picks. I got Wow! City! because I saw it on your blog and I love it. In fact, I did an entire preschool lesson based on the book. I also loved 10 Little Mummies - I found it a while ago when I did a different preschool lesson. So anyway, hi, I love your blog.