Saturday, October 10, 2009

ah, Sarah.


Tonight I went down to visit Ryan at the studio. The hymns record is going amazingly well, from what I have heard, and so I wanted to just hang out a bit and watch in envy as all these musicians effortlessly do their thing.

Somehow though, I found myself in front of a mic, clapping my hands along with the beat, singing along with the latest song being recorded. Now don't get any ideas - I can't sing. And I'm not being modest. In church I was once called to be the music leader for the primary. Each week was torture for me - and I'm sure everyone else ... In fact, if any of you know me at all - you know I am not a shy person by nature, but I hate anything that puts that kind of spotlight on me. Singing in front of people is at the top of the list of things I can live my life without.

So tonight, while I let someone film me - while someone else was recording everything - while I was standing next to someone who can sing... really really sing (ah - Sarah Sample, you have the most amazing voice - and you sing as if it was no effort at all. I'm happy I could hear more of you then me tonight) - I was a little more out of my comfort zone then usual. But even then, in all my self-voice loathing - I have to admit I had a little fun, and I really liked being apart of the process of recording this thing.

Overall, I loved being able to see Ryan for more then the 2 seconds before he goes out the door. I love watching him sing like he does, when I can tell he is having a great time - and completely opposite to me - totally in his element. I loved eating M&Ms while I watched video's of Sarah S. adorable little girl dancing it up around the living room, to have some great chat time with my cute friend Rachel Hardy, and to get to snuggle baby Huck (Sarah and Scott Wiley's newest family addition) - and all over some great Thai food (although I was less then happy to find us a little short on our order. Thanks alot Spicy Thai!).

All in all, a good night.

4 comments:

jayne wells said...

Emily,
It was great to hang out! We're meant to be friends.

Callie Canlas said...

i'll second that motion! and that goes for jayne too...just perused your blog for a bit and this is what i know for sure...you and ryan are quality folks, i need a class on "how to get your kidddos to enjoy eating broccoli", and we need to break bread together, SOON...jon's around for a couple of weeks so i'll be in touch with details about the breaking bread part :)

sarah sample said...

thanks em. I've never been in someone's blog title. makes me feel warm. lots o love to you and yours.

Jamie said...

So cute Em! I'm so excited to hear/see it all!!!