Wednesday, October 28, 2009

a month of festivities

I keep thinking I'm going to be better at blogging. But I'm not.

So once again, I find myself doing a recap blog of the past events and weeks.

I know winter is upon us, but it still surprised me to wake up and find snow on the lawn this week. Jack's eyes about bugged out of his sockets when he discovered the miracle and was eating his cereal in his snow gear in anticipation to get out and try out the new laid snow. We made little snowmen, Cash ate some snow, and then we decided to come in for the first cup of hot-coco of the season. Then the snow really came. So of course, I had to take Jack back out again to make a proper and larger snowman. He spent the entire day looking back out the window - all up until he went to bed - to make sure his new made friend was still there. I am dreading when the sun will finally take him out. I am just crossing my fingers the snow holds off till the trick-or-treating is finished.


October has been really fun this year. I guess the addition of kids makes you get more into holiday spirit. I love any holiday - any excuse to eat great food and hang out with the closest of friends and family, and this month has been no exception.

We took the boys to the Red Butte Garden After Dark with a bunch of our friends - (I would show you pictures, but unfortunately Cash demolished my camera just prior to this event) - and I recommend to anyone. There were pumpkins to paint, hot chocolate and cider, spooky walk ways, broom-stick crafts and mazes for the smaller kids. It was a great night.

The next day, we took the boys to Boo-At-The-Zoo with Ryan's sisters. The weather was perfect. We got to see the adorable baby elephant and giraffe, while the boys practiced their trick-or-treating skills. Jack and Cash refused to wear anything but their costumes for the next 2 days.

We then had our friends, Jamie, Jill, Fayth, Jennie and Jeff over that night, for a massive pumpkin carving extravaganza. Jennie roasted up some of her famous
seasoned pumpkin seeds, Jeff made his delicious wassail, Jill made a yummy pumpkin role (please send the recipe), and I put too much ginger in my butternut squash soup - nuts.


Tonight - all the grandkids met up at Grandma and Grandpa's house for another pumpkin carving event. Cash and Jack both walked away with stellar carvings and had a fun night filling their bellies with pizza, candy and just hanging out with the cousins.

Tomorrow Ryan and Atherton, are playing an opening set for a Halloween movie/party downtown (at the Rose Wagner Theater if anyone wants in), and then the next day is Halloween. Yippee!

(sigh) This is the most celebrating I have ever done towards Halloween. I think I will need a nap after this month is out.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Its called the month of fun for a reason Emily... :)

We will see you tonight? very excited!

Jamie said...

Good times indeed. can't wait to see you tonight. I'll be the one with the scarey mask on.

paul said...

a- check out What Snowmen Do At Night. it may answer some of Jack's questions/concerns.

b- that group of people probably made the most creative bunch of jack'o'lanterns in the country this year. unless they underachieved.

c- bummed to miss both Red Butte and Atherton (TWICE!)