Friday, March 6, 2009

sometimes it is hard to sit back



My sister-in-law Shelby invited Jack and I to tag along with her and her little man Tanner, to The Discovery Center at the Gateway today. We decided Cash would sit this one out - seeing as they charge a rip off price of $8.50 for kids 1 years and up. And since Cash doesn't do much more then drool while crawling every 5 feet only to bang his head into a wall, I thought a hands-on science and discovery center was a little out of his league.

The place was a little overwhelming at first. It's as if someone has injected all the children with RedBull, spun them in circles and then sent them running. Jack spent the first 15 minutes just hiding behind my leg and starring into the chaos while trying to figure out why everyone was screaming and why I was so eager for him to "get out there and mix it up!"

But after awhile he seemed to ease up - minus a few times some bullies took a few toys straight out of his hands, or pushed him over without a second glance - and even then he did okay.

Jack by nature, is a softy. It is the hardest thing for me to sit by and let some of those things happen. It took a lot of control to not waltz in and sucker punch a kid or two for purposefully kicking down Jack's masterpiece tower or shoving him out of the way to slide down the ramp first. What am I going to do when Jack's faced with the hard stuff. Good thing I have Ryan to be my calmer side I guess.

Either way - the joint was pretty cool and Jack had a blast, but probably would have been just as excited if I bought him the marker set at the gift shop that he was coveting before we even walked in.


2 comments:

Matt, Arien, Pete and Piper said...

Cute little Jack! It is hard to see your kids get picked on! Pete will let kids take things from him, then he will run over to me and whisper "mommy, he took it" with tears down his face. Breaks your heart.I am sure they will grow out of it:)

T-raz and the H-train said...

Nothing is worse. Hank is so little he gets pushed around a lot. He got pushed down one time and looked at the ground and just shook his head. I promptly bought him some M&M's.