Saturday, May 23, 2009

my greening thumb

When we moved into our house last year, the yard was a jungle. The previous owner had managed to plant every single plant, shrub and flower the nursery offered - and all of it had been unattended to and overgrown for who knows how long. She had placed down weed guard over everything, but then had let the lawn grow over it, along with weeds, not to mention the crazy-a roots from the ugly shrub plants, until there was one massive rug of jungle floor to take out.

All we did last year was try and bring the lawn back to life, and try to make our way through the chaos and tear out everything in our path.

(sigh) Finally I the end is in site. I have a few more shrubs to attack, which could actually be called trees because they are so tall and stubborn. They
may require the professionals to remove (may the 6 shovels that attempted their removal rest in peace), but I think I am finally getting to a neutral starting point for the yard.

I have been reading lots of books and trying to get ideas to start the stages of what will hopefully be a hipper front and backyard space. I found this really great book at the last run to the library on succulents. Beyond being very resourceful on what to plant, the photography is absolutely gorgeous. A great designed book if you want some gardening eye candy.



I love succulents - the great patterns, the repeating nature of how they duplicate themselves and their rounded and swollen leaves. They are beautiful. I think I will plant some, along with some vibrant moss, in between the rocks by the roses.

Thanks to Sarah Wiley's green thumb/good advice - my roses are flourishing. They are grass and weed free, and are on a tight schedule for fertilizing, pruning and weeding. I have knocked the count down from 26 to 15 plants, so I am excited for them to have more room to breath and grow this summer.

I have been surprised to find all the weeding and gardening to be extremely relaxing and theraputic for me. I can't wait until I can start putting things into the ground instead of just ripping things out.

1 comment:

Mindi said...

Looks good, we are going to continue working at our weed infested yard tomorrow. I too can't wait until it it nicer to look at, and it funner to work in. Your post inspired me to keep at it, thanks!