Tuesday, March 9, 2010

the more you read

One day I hope to have a room in my house dedicated to shelves and shelves of glorious books. I'd love to design out a room with built in books shelves that tower from ceiling to floor. And I want a big ol' fatty-fat chair that swallows you whole - accompanied by an equally as fat ottoman to lounge out in as you read. There will be great lighting and I think that I will live out my days there.




I am slowly gathering my collection of books to fill up this library. Penguin has come out with a series of beautifully bound hardbacks of some classics that I am slowly trying to acquire. The cover artwork and colors are fabulous...check these out next time you are perusing a bookstore or I have even seen them at Anthropology.


I am just starting on Jane Eyre this week and loving it. I have a stack of books next to my bedside lamp, waiting for a read. I think I may have gone a little overboard last time I went to Barnes and Noble, but I could hardly help myself. My sister and I have started this non-official club of book buying/reading. We each go and pick out 2 or 3 books. So as we read, we swap - but never have to wait on the other to finish their selected books. It's been great so far... with only a few that we would never recommend and have placed in a donate box.


An author I've really started to love, is Elizabeth Berg. I have read 3 of her novels now (Open House, Dream When Your Feeling Blue, A Year of Pleasures), and have loved them all.
But please continue to give me your recommendations of books as you read them... I have my master list I keep with me in my purse - including all the recommendations from my last blog entry about this, and am constantly looking for more.


> The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. (Dr. Seuss)







4 comments:

Alicia said...

I am with you on the whole books thing. I love books. Love having them and love looking at them... I think that's why I love "The Beast" so much--- Yes, I am referencing Disney here.

LBP said...

I am really surprised that my old college roomates who kept me awake at night - you know who you are - love to read books now. You guys are nerds. The roles have finally reversed and I am the cool one now. I knew it would happen. Now, I stay up until 9:30pm watching bad girls club.

Mindi said...

I have just rediscovered Barnes and Noble and how much I love it. I could stay there for hours. Books are the best, I agree. Love those ones from Anthropologie. I recently finished reading These is My Words, by Nancy E. Turner. So, so good.

Jill said...

I LOVE books, libraries, coffee, tea, bookstores, comfy reading chairs, reading blanket and anything like that. That's why were friends, you and me.

The invites look awesome, Thanks!

Happy 21st birthday again. Glad you're able to get in clubs now. Let's go dancing sometime.