Tuesday, March 16, 2010

you can't help what you love



I have a thing about used furniture. If the bones of a chair, desk, table - you name it - are good, strong, stable -- I have a hard time leaving them be. Ryan has learned now to not ask questions every time I show up from a thrift store or a back alley with some ratty chair that someone left behind. I find something terribly romantic about these pieces of forgotten furniture. I can see their potential, and love them even in their disheveled state.

I recently acquired this desk from my sister-in-law. Her daughter has turned from the age of wanting to work on homework at her personal deskside, to talking to friends and boys over the phone in a cozy chair. I saw the desk waiting for it's DI pick up, and snatched it away. I thought I would make a nice personal desk for me downstairs.

The chair was found behind my father-in-laws dry cleaning business. The sad part about this chair, is that before someone left it out one summer day - then all into winter, it was it perfect condition inside the store, and I would have kidnapped it long ago if I knew of it's fate.

But, have not fear little chair. I have big plans for you and desk... the "after" photos soon to come.


2 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm so excited to see what you will do with those little beauties. I agree, there is something wonderful about loving what no one else notices. And I must also agree that I love the necklace Jennie and Jeff gave you, so cute!

Miranda at Marz Haus said...

Great finds, Em! You have such a good eye.

We should go thrifting together one day. I love treasure hunting. Zach won't let me go to the dump with him anymore since last time we returned with more stuff than we took out there (Including an entire wicker patio set! It's now repainted and sitting proudly on our front porch). I had to run, yelling, as fast as I could to rescue it before it went head-first into the pit.

The desk is so adorable and I love love the chair. They are lucky to have you.