Saturday, August 27, 2011

dreaming of a white christmas on day 13

Now I could do without all the snow... but watching these live feeds of the Lower Lights doing their Christmas album has me aching for the holiday to be here. I am so excited for this new record. It is going to rule.

The boys and I spent the day being lazy and mostly playing with Legos. We spend all kinds of hours building spaceships with crazy morphed Lego men that are out to defeat all villainy. Ryan and I somehow introduced our kids probably too early to the world of Legos... now they rule our house. I can't vacuum a day without sucking up some sad missing arm or helmet visor that is camouflaged into the carpet. And I know it drives Ryan INSANE to see all the parts everywhere and mismatched. It takes us forever to build these masterpieces when we first buy them, and then seconds for the boys to destroy and loose most their parts, but I love how creative they get with them after they have joined the box of mass Legos. Jack spends all kinds of time creating these Lego forces of ships and cars and while I'm not sure yet how to keep Max from eating most these tiny parts, I just really like that the boys are into them as much as they are. My mom had a box of batman Legos that she originally bought for one of my nephews just as he lost interest in Legos. So she held onto and many many years later, gave it to Jack for Christmas. Of course he went insane over it - and the batmobile maybe lasted 2 weeks assembled. You cannot imagine how sick Ryan and I were to find out that, that very same box of Batman legos was going for over $450 on ebay. The Batman figure alone was $50. I think that is what pushed Ryan over the edge. We almost considered packaging the whole thing back up and selling it as "slightly used", but couldn't bring it upon ourselves to take it from Jack. Oh well.


I tried to organize myself for Jack's first official "friends" birthday party. Up until now, we have just always done it with family and cousins... we spent a good time at the party store drooling over all sorts of treats and surprises for the party. Jack couldn't decide between Batman-themed party and Spiderman-themed party, so I think we are going with an all over "superhero unite!" themed party. My friend Holly did this amazing superhero party for her son and lent me some of her supplies to possibly copy a few things and make some of my own. I just love the photos of the fan blowing the kids capes back. Hilarious.


Day 13 of the challenge was to wear neutral with a pop. Max broke my "pop" colored necklace within about 2 minutes of me wearing it, so I then turned to these kelly green/gold earings that I adore. I also love just to wear vibrant red lipstick as my color against a neutral. I think the more subtle you are, the better sometimes. I'll have to admit, if I hadn't been doing this challenge today, I would have been lazy in jeans and a worn out tee... so maybe this is doing something for me.

Well, I'm off to make cookies and kill some time before I need to feed Max again and since Ry won't be home until the wee hours of the morning, cooking is my way to keep myself company.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son was mad over duplo as a tiny tot, and a lego-addict until he was a young teenager. Its high value is a worthwhile investment in your child's dexterity.
YOU build the masterpieces for them? Then you are probably buying for too old an age group as you can help, but never build it for them. It means nothing to them unless they've built it. THEY have to be proud of it because of their handiwork.
And then to go 'sick' over its value? Over the top.
It seems entirely normal for your child to lose all these loose parts occasionally and for them to lie all over the place at times. I'm sure he can tidy it up if you tell him to. It is a shame your husband goes insane over this, because it really is just a part of the child's world in which he plays. Teaching them young to tidy up after play is a good habit.
Jack and Ryan went insane over the lego (albeit for different reasons) and you and Ryan were sick over its value.
Words can be like a magic wand. Use them carefully.

emmy said...

This comment is awesome and amazing and I think I am more blown away that someone else reads my blog ... other then my mom that is, then what your comment accuses me of. Good for you "nicola" and welcome.

Gaige said...

That comment IS priceless. Emily, I hope you have learned your lesson. I'm also glad to know that Jonah is not the only boy that feels compelled to disassemble every single lego figure (arms, hands and all).